I wanted some big monkey bars for the backyard, for the kids and me. I had several objectives:
- Thick grips on at least some bars
- Allow inclined climbing
- Make it big to allow multiple (kid) climbers
- Have it connect to (and structurally support) the upcoming treehouse
Here is a view of the completed structure in action:
- (5) 4"x4"x10' pressure treated posts
- (3) 4"x4"x8' pressure treated posts
- (3) 2"x6"x10' pressure treated boards
- (4) 1⅝" steel fence poles
- (1) 2⅜" steel fence pole
- (2) sets of (6) 24" monkey bars
- (5) bags of post-setting concrete
- (4) ½ diameter carriage bolts (+ nuts and washers)
- (numerous) 2½" long exterior grade SPAX screws
The lowest horizontal pole is 5' high, just within reach of my 5 year old.
The highest horizontal pole (the thick one) is 8' high, just right for me.
The set of conventional monkey bars are 9' high.